Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Training Days #5 and #6

And on the 5th day she rested :-)

Fridays are my rest day throughout training. Pretty fitting. End the work week by indulging in a little R&R (rest and relaxation..not Rock and Roll :-D). And I have to say that the day of rest was much needed. My muscles were pretty sore on Friday, plus I was exhausted from being up most of the night for the midnight showing of the final Harry Potter :)

So I woke up bright and early this morning to get prepped for our hike. This time we were only doing a 4 mile round trip (last trip was 9 miles in total!). So a nice leisurely hike in comparison. My friend Kelly and I headed out early and were slightly hesitant about how it would go considering there was a pretty steady rain going on. But we went onward and upward. Literally.

The area was beautiful. Right around North Bend. At the bottom of the mountain is Rattlesnake Lake. Its quite a beautiful area and with the light fog over the lake and mountain in the morning it was breathtaking. Overall the hike was beautiful. Had a definite incline, gaining about 1200 ft in 2 miles. Gave my already sore muscles a nice little work out. Switchbacks most of the way up that caused you to really use your legs!

About 40 minutes later we'd made the 2 mile hike up to the top and found SPECTACULAR views at the top. We'll be heading back on a nicer day when you can actually see everything. The fog hindered the view somewhat but even with the fog it was one of the best overviews I've had the pleasure of seeing. When we reached the ledge the rain was at a pretty steady pace so we didn't end up lingering too long. Just long enough to enjoy the view and get some good pictures in.

We were back in the car and headed back to the city in less than 2 hours from when we started. All in all not a bad way to start a Saturday morning, and get my training in so I could enjoy the remainder of my day. I've posted pictures below of the lookout from the ledge. There were additional trails from this look out spot (another 2.4 mile hike to East Point, and another 6 miles up to Snoqualmie Point). These will be attempted at a later date and time, and if the day is nice enough we plan to end the hike back at the bottom and enjoy the lake and sun.

Tomorrow is training day 7 and our first long run. It's a 2 mile consecutive run. While we've run 2 miles other nights this week they were broken up. Looking forward to pushing myself through it and completing the first full week of training! :)

Training Day #6 - success!







No comments:

Post a Comment