Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

In Loving Memory

Yesterday was a very difficult day. July 14, 2011 would've been my grammy's 94th birthday. Grams passed away this past March, after battling cancer. It was the first year without her, and throughout the day I found myself thinking about her and how much I wished she were still here with us. But I know that she is in heaven smiling down on all of us and guiding us through this life. I could not ask for a better guardian angel than her.

Every year since Grams turned 90, my Aunt Mimi hosted an amazing birthday extravaganza in which family would gather from all over the country. We'd come together for this one weekend to celebrate my Grams and share in family. These get togethers for me were one of the biggest blessings I could've asked for. They gave me a chance to see my family at least once a year, no matter how far apart we all lived, and it also served as the catalyst for reuniting a family that I feel for many years had been separated. The separation occurred for a multitude of reason, but Grams brought us all together. She helped us all erase years of loneliness without the comforts of family.

My most favorite moments in the last years of her life were the times we were all together. Whether it be at her birthday fiestas or the many weddings that blessed our family (Kristin and Josh, Amanda and Nick, Josh and Maureen, Nick and Lyndee, Caitlin and Peter, Emily and Sean, Adam and Janelle), these were the moments that I rejoice in now. Mostly because Grams, a woman after my own heart, always enjoyed her time dancing out on the floor with her family :-)

I will forever remember the family gatherings at Gram's house. Kids running around the house (there are 19 first cousins), singing at Christmas, scrabble nights at the old house in Bula....these are the things I think stay with us. The small little memories that we cherish. Her birthday will always be celebrated by those who loved her....and that is a LOT of people.

I love you Grams. Thank you for all that you gave to our family. We were blessed to have you in our lives for so long, and we are even more blessed to have you watch over us in Heaven.

In Loving Memory of Florence Bodnar (July 14, 1917 - March 3, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment