Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Training Day #1!

So yesterday evening was Training Day Numero Uno!!! That's right folks!

Training Day 1 Goal - run 1 mile

Ok - now I know what you're thinking....she's going to try and run 13.1 miles and her goal for training day one is 1 mile???? Is she serious?!? Oh yes I am ladies and gents! So here is the thing. I haven't honestly TRIED to run in I don't even know how long. When I put on all my weight running was a very unpleasant task. It was painful. I got shin splints had a hard time breathing....it just wasn't something I did. And over the last year while losing all my weight, my primary activity was walking. I'd walk for an hour or more, and so I was walking 3-4 miles a day 6 days a week. Averaging about 20 miles/week.

But running?? I had this huge fear that when I actually tried running again that my body would say "WTF! WHAT are you thinking?!?" So I found a training schedule from the Hal Higdon website (apparently he's the training guru for running ANY distance). His is a 12 week schedule which starts assuming you are running 3-4 miles a few times a week. Well thats definitely NOT what I'm doing. I have 21 weeks until the race, so I modified the schedule out and made it start with just a plain ONE mile run. :)

My friend Jenny (who is also running the half marathon in Vegas) met up with me last night for our first run. We're training buddies because we both need a little kick in the pants to keep us on track. It's called accountability people! We met up and started our venture out around Green Lake (approximately 3 miles around).....and our ending result.....we ran 70% of the time! We ran the first mile solid and then did intervals the remaining way around. And honestly I felt very comfortable the whole time, which surprised me. There were points toward the end that my muscles burned, but I didn't feel like I couldn't push through it.

And I think my favorite part of the whole run was my SNEAKS! It honestly felt like so much fun to be rocking my new kicks! They're just so bright and loud! I LOVE IT! :)

So that was training day one....tonight for training day two BIKRAM YOGA! :)
I've never done it in my life so its sure to be interesting....and sweaty! The training program says that one night should be to stretch and strengthen....I can't think of a better way to stretch and strengthen than hot yoga! I've been hydrating all day and now am just waiting till the class time comes! I'll post tomorrow on how it goes!


Training Day 1
Goal: 1 mile
Result: 2 miles run, 1 mile walked

No comments:

Post a Comment