Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Training Week #9

After last week's amazing 40 minute 5 miler I started off the training week pretty freaking excited :)

I think the most contagious thing about running for me so far has been the ability to take on new mileage, new running spots and come out successful. There are the every once in awhile snags but for the most part I've been able to conquer the goals I've been setting and thats ALWAYS encouraging. Not to mention I've had the support from my amazing running partner Jenny, as well as friends/family along the way. Running with me, sending love, whatever.

This week was quite the ambitious week as I was taking on my typical mileage PLUS the Athleta Iron Girl 5k. Hitting almost 20 miles in the week is somewhat crazy now that I sit back and look at the mileage I pulled in. Not to mention that 2 of the days were in Minnesota, one day was after being up since 3am to catch a flight back from MN, working that whole day and THEN running, and then doing a 5 miler all by myself. It was a continuous reminder that when you set your mind to something you can do it! And listen to me Miss Suzie Sunshine blah blah blah blah blah... Don't mind me I think it may just be the runner's high! :)

My second 5 miler was nowhere near as impressive as the first, but I put that largely due to the fact that I'd already run 10.5 miles during the week, traveled back from Minnesota and was just tuckered out. Plus I was also running solo. Which, don't get me wrong I love getting out on the road and just running, but I feel I truly push myself to do better when I have my friends with me. It's just a feeling of working toward a goal versus a leisurely run. Totally a mental game (and lets face it we all know I'm a little cooky). One of the MANY mental facets of running I'm still trying to figure out how to overcome. Pushing myself when NO ONE is watching. Tricky tricky tricky I tell ya.

Anyway - the week capped off with the Athleta Iron Girl 5k, which is its own post all on its own so enough about that for now!

Week 9 complete! 12 more to go! Technically this would be where the TRUE Hal Higdon training schedule would start....and I'm right on track. His training schedule suggests you be running 3-5 miles roughly 3-4 times a week at this point and looky looky! That is EXACTLY what I'm doing! Wow...its as if someone PLANNED it that way...oh wait that would be me :)

Happy running!

WEEK 9 STATS (Sept 5 - Sept 11)

Total Miles Run - 18.6
Total Miles Planned- 15.1

Hot Yoga Classes - 1

Long Run - 5 miles

Races Completed - Athleta Iron Girl 5k

No comments:

Post a Comment