Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Training Week #8

Going into this week I had just set TWO new PRs....I was totally jazzed up! Thinking "WOW...I'm running uber fast right now! I have NO idea how this is happening but OK! Lets DO this!"......and then my Monday run happened.

Now I'll just start off and say it wasn't anything bad. I didn't get injured, I didn't do anything badly, my pace was still god (9:23/mile)...but I didn't finish my run. I had set out for my 3.5 mile run after a LONG Monday at work, and knowing I was just a few short days away from heading out to visit Katie in Minnesota. My mind was pretty much just out of whack. I mean WHO could focus when a vacation is coming up?! But I didn't really have a choice and so the day just drained me. Not what I needed when it comes to a run. Also - it was freaking HOT...this is why I don't go running straight after work. I wait till the sun starts going down and things cool off...because I SUCK running in heat.

Well the Monday run only lasted 2.5 miles. And then I just walked it out because my body refused to give me energy to run. First time in the training block that this had happened and it was slightly disheartening. But I chalked it up to the fact that I'd just run two PRs and maybe had pushed it just a little TOO hard.

And I think I was right because the rest of the week was phenomenal. I got two more 3.5 miles completed (one in Minnesota!), and a nice 5 mile walk with one of my favorite KPMGers Kelsey! All in reasonable amounts of time, although my pace dropped to about a 9:50/mile. But I completed the runs and thats all that mattered.

SO then comes my big first 5 MILER! In Minnesota...oh boy. With the running club (Katie, Dyana, Kelsi and Sammy). All of us are signed up for a half marathon (the 4 girls all running in Minnesota, me in Vegas). I already had apprehensions about the 5 miler. It would be my longest distance to date, and I was in Minnesota where I was afraid of the mugginess. Lucky for me it was a pretty cool day when we ran and the muggy really wasn't that muggy. BUT I was also pretty intimidated to run with Katie who has already done a half and is a pretty damn good runner. I had literally told her that she needed to yell at me and keep me going to make sure I completed the 5 miles. I was THAT sure I would have a hard time just getting through it AT ALL.

Well...I knocked myself out of my socks by running that 5 miles in 40 minutes...a freaking 8 MINUTE MILE PACE! I don't believe it still....no idea how it happened...well I'm pretty sure it was due to Sammy our freaking pace setter of the day! But still STUNNED that I actually did it. I mean WHAT?!? It just couldn't be true. BUT it is. So I got to end my week 8 with an amazing PR, not to mention being in Minnesota with my fave roomie ever and her family. All in all it was probably my favorite week of my training to date. :)

WEEK 8 STATS (August 29 - Sept 4)

Total Miles Run - 14.5
Total Miles Planned- 14

Total Miles Walked- 5

New PR: 5 miles in 40 minutes (8 min/mile pace)!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment