Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Training Week #6

I'm going to start off this week's update by saying that this was probably one of the hardest but most rewarding weeks of my training so far and for a multitude of reasons. All of which I'll explain below

The training schedule this week ended up going quite differently than originally anticipated. I had planned to get in 2 nights of hot yoga, plus maybe a hike or even a 3rd evening of yoga....but the world works in mysterious ways. Monday afternoon my nephew Alexander was admitted to Seattle Children's Hospital, and was ultimately diagnosed with Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes. He spent the next 3 days in the hospital to take his blood sugar levels down, to monitor him, and also to introduce my sister, her husband, my mom and myself to the new lifestyle he was going to live. Training us on testing his blood sugar, counting his carb intake, giving insulin injections, etc. Needless to say a VERY overwhelming week especially for my sister, Nick and Alex. I'll write more detail on the week in another post, as well as the new cause I'm running for.

So given that we were spending majority of our days at the hospital my training schedule went in a slightly different direction. I kept up with all of my run nights, taking in 3 mile runs on Monday and Wednesday, but my crosstraining went to walks around Greenlake. A LOT OF WALKING! I pulled in 15 miles walking this week (6 of which was pulled in on Thursday evening). But it was exactly what I needed...should we say it was what the doctor ordered???? Anyway - my training this week definitely served as catharsis for my overloaded mind. Giving me time to focus on everything my family was going through....and just life in general. More to be discussed on the clarity of what came through in a post to be made at a later date, but all in all much needed think time.

And then I brought in the new addition to my training....CYCLING! Yes thats right. Its one of my new favorite cross train activities. Pulling in 6 miles on the bike in just 2 rides...I'm very proud of my little accomplishments. I know its not a HUGE mileage, but hey! I haven't biked in I don't even know how long, and with all the other activity I'm doing I'm trying not to push too hard. There is no room for error or accidents in this training program!

Also completed during this week was my first official race of the program! The Covey Run 5k run in Woodinville. Another post will be entirely devoted to all race day activities and thoughts. But a very big moment for me in my training program.

At the culmination of the week I felt like I'd made quite the accomplishment. It was a second straight week in which life threw curveballs into the rink and I was able to modify/adjust my training and still come out accomplishing the overall end goals, and in ways surpassing goals I'd had in my own mind. Versatility baby. People always say that trainings and goals can go off course, sometimes never to be returned to because we don't plan for the unexpected. Well hopefully the last two weeks is proof enough in my own mind that I can keep myself focused and reach my end goal....even if life decides it has other ideas for me.


WEEK 6 STATS

Total Miles Run - 9.1
Total Miles Planned - 9.1

Total Miles Walked - 15
Total Miles Biked - 6

No comments:

Post a Comment